12 February 2006

A Very Overdue Update

As many of you know, I’ve been sweating it out here in God’s Country since December 20th. While my posts have been few and far between, my life away from the virtual world has been very busy indeed. I’ve managed to find places to knit publicly on nearly every day of the week, save Wednesdays, which I devote to my volunteer efforts at the VNAM.

Because Omahell isn’t that huge, the local knitting community is rather tiny, as well—and we run into one another despite our best efforts not to. Fortunately, two especially kind souls have turned me on to all kind of activities in the local knitting scene, and I would be remiss if I didn’t acknowledge them publically right now. Therefore, I wish to thank Lorna and Mary for introducing me to other knitters, decaf chai, and 40% off yarn sales. What’s more, they both have been most welcoming, and that in itself is truly appreciated. I thank you both.

Next, I’d like to give a shout out to the hook and needle corps that regularly make an appearance at Mangelsen’s, String of Purls, and Personal Threads. Donna, I can’t thank you enough for your inspiration, free passes to your gym, and gift of gab that helps me to get through mindless, endless rows of stockinette stitch! Dr. Jennifer from Albany—thanks a million for commiserating with me on the bad drivers all across the U-S-of-A. And I can’t forget the Titanium Rose, who is a wonderful source of knowledge about all manner of medications; it’s a real comfort to a true hypochondriac like Yours Truly…

Of course there are more, and I’ll have to get to them when I get around to posting again. I’d do it now, I can’t focus enough for all that right now.. Suffice it to say, all the connections I’ve made with knitters has worked miracles in terms of inspiring me to knit more than dishrags and scarves. At present, I’m working on a sweater which I’m determined to complete before the end of the month. Ideally, I’d like to have it done prior to February 18, but being efficient just isn’t like me, at all. So whatever. Anyway, I’ve completed a plethora of Christmas gifts, including hats, mitts, shrugs, wraps, bags, and whatever else, in the past year. I really ought to have cramps in my hands from all this, but for some strange reason, I don’t. Who knew?

Meanwhile, I can’t wait until Jillian Moreno and Amy Singer’s Big Girl Knits is ready for prime-time. This whole reworking of teeny-weeny patterns with a calculator and improvised gauging techniques is somewhat tiresome, to say nothing of unpredictable. I hope to post photos of the FO I’ve been photographing before they went to their new homes.

But not now… I’m busy procrastinating.

Aloha,
- d.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

its good to hear from you. we miss you up here. see you soon.

mary j