20 January 2005

Wunnerful, wunnerful...


The Saturday nights of my very early years were spent watching The Lawrence Welk Show in it's entirety. To this day, I can bore anyone shitless with details about the cast. I was imprinted to the point that I actually bought my dearly departed grandmother tickets to his band's road show in 1997--and yes, I went with her. (My Great-Uncle Earle once told me he owned a clarinet that had belonged to Henry Questa). But the best part about the show, to my four-year old mind, was the bubbles used in the opening and closing of the show. (And they didn't use one of those little lame plastic things that came in the soap bubbles bottle, either. They had a straight-up fo'real bubble machine. Now that was da bomb.)

Although Mr. Welk was born in North Dakota, he didn't actually start to speak English until he was 20-years old, and some would argue, he never did truly speak it--but that only adds to his charm. His 'Welkisms' are absolute classics. Follow this link and learn (or learn not) to communicate like the Champaigne Music Maker...

No comments: